The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Thursday, May 21, 2015

round two with frau gru

Morning in the world and the Tearman Cafe.
As if by magic, Frau Gruber materialised.
"James," she challenged. "You told me that you sincerely believed there was no happiness in sexual relationships between people of the same gender. Well I know you are wrong. I have a cousin and she has been married to someone of the same gender for twenty years and she is very happy."
I paused over the minestrone to better weigh her words.
"How many times have you seen your cousin in the last ten years?" I asked.
"I, I, er, five times," she shot back.
"I don't think you know whether your cousin is happy or not," I said softly, "but you should ring her. Ring her at least once a week for the rest of your life. Enjoy ringing her. listen to her. Give her guidance sometimes. Develop a friendship with her. Tell her about your conversations with nutty old me. Invite her to Ireland for visits. But be genuinely in her life. That's caring. That's compassion. Redefining marriage is nothing. It may give you a warm glow and a feeling of superiority but you've done nothing. To do something for someone you must be in their lives. You can't be in everyone's life. But you can be in at least one person's. Be in your cousin's life. Make the effort. From today and for the rest of your life. Thank you for your time."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home