The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Thursday, September 08, 2011

how corrupt is the irish police force

Coffee with Doctor Barn.
I am fulminating about the corruption of the Irish Police Force.
He interrupts.
"Heelers!" he exclaims. "I never thought I'd see the day. You were also calling on people to support the police. Now you've become a civil libertarian."
I take a deep breath.
"I'm surprised you're surprised," I tell him. "Once I found out that the Irish Police was institutionally and individually corrupt, I'd have thought you'd have bet on me to say it loud regardless of how inconvenient these facts are to my prior advocacy on law and order. Once I found out that the cops were killing people in the cells, arrantly and repeatedly concealing the deaths which occurred in their custody, colluding with drug dealers in Athy and other towns, inflicting a notoriously psychotic sergeant on my own home town and other towns, gerrymandering crime figures and road deaths figures downwards, allowing a corrupt thug like Sergeant James D O'Mara of the Naas traffic division to operate with impunity in attempting to terrorise me at the side of the road forcing me to stand in a downpour in a teeshirt while he threw a photograph on the ground from my wallet and sneeringly claiming to suspect I'd stolen my own car, assaulting countless members of the public at the side of the road, inducing heart attacks in people at the side of the road particularly on one memorable occasion just before Christmas when Naas traffic cops killed a citizen at the side of the road in front of a child, threatening to rape young women, committing violence against the public on a daily basis at the Shell To Sea protests, beating the living daylights out of citizens on the streets and in their own homes, covering up for each other no matter what how great or how small the violation of law, blooding new recruits to the police force by bringing them in on their latest assaults against the general public, once I had confirmed the veracity of any one of those things yet alone all of them, there could be no question of my keeping silent merely because in the past I'd called on the public to support the cops. I always think it's a sign of weakness and/or laziness to use the word scum. But let me this way put it: These people are scummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home