The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Thursday, December 16, 2010

this just in

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2010 3:55 PM
Subject: RE: the ineluctable modality of being

Mr. Healy,

 

I just found your message of 10/13/10 in my email junk mail folder. I had not previously read your work. I visited your website just now and saw there the messages you have posted. I regret that you have had any concerns about plagiarism, but seeing the two poems I can certainly understand why you might. My poem was entirely my own composition in response to the prompt given in the Chronicle of Higher Education's poetry contest, which invited poems based in some way on Keats' On First Looking into Chapman's Homer.  I agree with Lawrence Biemiller's evaluation (as it appears on your site) that this is an instance of a "great-minds-think-alike coincidence."

 

I am glad to know that you have had some success with your poem. While mine received an honorable mention on the Chronicle website, I do not expect it to be published elsewhere.

 

I am hoping this will allow your mind to be at ease on this matter.

 

With all due respect,

 

Garry

 

Garry M. Breland, Ed.D.

Vice President for Academic Affairs and Professor of Psychology and Counseling

William Carey University

498 Tuscan Avenue

Hattiesburg, MS 39401

(601) 318-6101  (office)

(601) 318-6413  (FAX)

(601) 408-1080  (cell)

 

From: James Healy [mailto:jameshealy50@eircom.net]
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 6:31 PM
To: Breland, Garry
Subject: the ineluctable modality of being

 

Hey Doc

I was intrigued recently to see a poem on The Chronicle website, attributed to you under the title On First Looking Into Groening's Homer.

I wrote a poem of this title and published it several years ago.

Perhaps you have read my work?

James Healy

 

 

James Healy
Editor The Heelers Diaries
http://theheelersdiaries.blogspot.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home