The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

in the wee small hours of the morning

The Chateau de Healy is in darkness.
The young squire is about to go to bed.
He launches his final patrol of the night.
Outside the night is deep and dark and mothy and warm.
His footsteps fill the ancient hall.
He checks that all the doors and windows are locked.
He pauses to ensure the appliances are switched off.
He goes to the Mammy's room to see that she's okay.
Opening her door he listens intently.
There is no sound.
He listens yet more intently.
Nothing.
Not even a breath.
The noble Heelers feels a creeping panic.
He enters the darkened room and stands at the bedside.
Still nothing.
He leans over the bed.
A voice rings out.
"I'm dead," crows the Mammy. "Would you for God's sake leave me alone!"

2 Comments:

Blogger Genevieve Netz said...

Let the poor lady get some sleep, James. :D

7:39 AM  
Blogger heelers said...

Gen.
I will from now on.
I gotta tell you...
My whole life flashed before my eyes.
J

1:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home