The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Saturday, August 29, 2009

lessons in life with the lady known as LIL

Me and the Mammy in the Cafe Des Beaux Parvenus at Newbridge Silverware.
Quaffing lattes in the key of life.
The place is thronged.
The Mammy casts a gaze of some asperity around the hallowed hall.
"Look at all the ould dears," she sniffs.
I am somewhat nonplussed.
"Mother," sez I, "Shush."
She leans forward.
"The cafe we used to go to in the Whitewater Centre was always full of young sexors," she imparts conspiratorially.
"I remember," sez I.
"This place is probably better for you though," quoth she.
"In what way?" wondereth I.
The Mammy grins.
"It'll teach you," quoth she in her most sagacious air. "It'll teach you that young sexors all turn into ould dears eventually."

1 Comments:

Blogger Schneewittchen said...

I looked up the work 'sexor' on askoford.com to see if it were a LilandHeelerism or an actual word that I don't know. Turns out the former (possibly). Nonetheless, 'tis obvious what it means.
Last year, whenever I claimed to be nonplussed, someone I worked with would say that she had never hear that word, in an accusatory tone. I always thought that it was obvious from the context what it meant, and that it wasn't my fault she didn't know it, but her shame.
Still that Lil is a wise, wise woman.

12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home