The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Sunday, July 19, 2009

the witnesses

Reading the letter of Jude, the brother of the Lord.
Jude is counselling moderation in speech.
He is advising that we should remember the warrior angel Michael in debate with Satan.
And the strongest words Michael had used were: "May God rebuke you."
I'm reading this with a wry realisation.
Normally I've been immoderate in speech at least four times before I get out of bed.
And my writing is definitely from the Whap Bam Thud school of literature.
Maybe I need to think again.

Then I come across Father Gro on that surrealistic Catholic television station EWTN.
Father Gro is saying: "Be aware how you are conducting yourself. You may not realise it but non believers watch Catholics very very closely. Just remember this no matter what you are doing or saying."
Hmmm.

And finally this morning I come across Walid Shoebatt chatting on one of the Protestant channels.
Mr Shoebatt is a Christian convert from Islam.
I'm familiar with some of his writings.
He seems to go nuts occasionally predicting the apocalypse. I'm not a fan.
This morning he's saying: "We don't have to be angry. We Christians don't need anger. God doesn't ask us to be angry on his behalf. God is tough enough to defend himself. We can be confident in the power and grace and light of God without resorting to anger. God asks us to speak with a spirit of love, no matter who we are speaking to. When we speak with a spirit of anger we are speaking for Satan. You can see some of the believers in other religions who claim to be angry all the time in the service of God. This is Satan's anger. We should remember it when we ourselves are speaking about the true God of love and we should be sure always in those circumstances to speak with love."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Mary said...

mmmm, I think we need more voices of protest and truth these days, not less. Being that what you say is already said by so few, I would be sad to see you lower the volume or intensity of what you have to say.

However, you must follow your heart and your conscience.

Oh well.

5:46 PM  
Anonymous MissJean said...

James, sounds like the Holy Spirit has done everything but hit you in the head with an anvil. As one who has a fierce temper, I'm still working on speaking truth with love. Sometimes I try to remember that old fella who wrote, "They will know you are Christians by your love." ;)

BTW is that "Father Gro" you mention Father Groeschel? I don't watch EWTN, but I've read a few of his books and found them helpful.

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home