The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

the sincerest form of flattery

Sitting in the Costa Cafe at the Whitewater Centre this morning.
My eye fell upon a copy of the Irish Independent which someone had left lying around.
My hand slipped and I accidentally started reading it.
And lo!
I chanced upon Mr Ian O'Doherty's inspirational humour column.
It is called "I Spy."
It is called "I Spy," because Mr O'Doherty regularly spies on this website in his search for ideas.
The fact that my life affirming elevated prose should be used by an anodyne, atheistic, self promoting pill to propagate the Irish Independent's witless, worthless, valueless credo is beyond irony.
(Actually O'Doherty's not an atheist. He worships Tony O'Reilly the owner of the Irish Independent. - Ed note.)
I read the column.
As per usual, it was indeed inspired.
Inspired by what is written in The Heelers Diaries, I mean.
Today's piece of petty thievery had a nifty little innovation.
It concerned the use of notes supposedly written by an anonymous editor, interspersed in the text like heckles from an imaginary audience.
Such notes add a most engaging dynamic to a written piece.
They provide an almost efferfescent duality, a surrealistic seditiousness, along with a feeling of heightened discourse for the reader.
Notes supposedly written by an anonymous editor.
Ed notes.
Wonder where he got the idea for those.
Ah he's a genius.
Once again we discover there's no idea or intellectualism or humorous innovation that I can't originate here, which Tony O'Reilly's cloth eared minions can't reproduce there.
(Do you remember the time you wrote the word priapic, and the next day it was all over the I Spy column? - Ed note.)
The only drawback is that it's impossible to steal sincerity.
The quality of the genuine.
The more they try to pilfer my greatness, the more it slips through their fingers.
So I reckon I can live with it.
Truth be told, I myself am hardly the first one to insert Ed notes in his own material.
I'm just the first one to do it and actually make it funny.
And if I've been hard on O'Doherty, let me temper my remarks with a nod of recognition.
Ian O'Doherty, for all his faults, at least recognises great art when he steals it.
(Heelers means that Ian O'Doherty is a porcine cannabinoid plagiarising pleistocene priapic little git. - Ed note.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home