The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Monday, October 20, 2008

barracking uncle theobald

The mighty Heelers was having tea with his improbably named Uncle Theobald.
"What I can't understand," said the Uncle, "is how any Americans who call themselves Catholic could vote for Barack Obama. The man is in favour of abortion. How could any Catholic support that? I just can't understand it."
I drew a short breath.
I sensed a teachable moment.
"Well Uncle I'm going to have to ask for a judges ruling on this one," I told him. "You claim not to understand American Catholics supporting Barack because he's pro abortion. But you yourself have supported Tony O'Reilly's newspapers for the past thirty years. You never fail to buy the Irish Independent and the Sunday Independent. And these are the most virulently anti Catholic publications in the country. Between them they have coarsened and vitiated the culture and faith of Ireland. They have made open warfare on our church. They have shamelessly promoted condom culture, contraceptive pill culture, abortion culture, pleasure culture and sex culture.And every step of the way they did so with your support."
The Uncle did not answer.

2 Comments:

Blogger Adrienne said...

vitiated? What a great word. I love new words...

6:12 AM  
Blogger heelers said...

I say it in rich mellifluous Irelandese: "vish-iated!"
J

2:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home