The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Saturday, October 25, 2008

after hours

Late night debate at the Chateau de Healy with the inimitable Uncle Scutch.
We two creatures are discussing the existence of almighty God.
Paddy Pup at my feet is ingesting a handkerchief.
Uncle Scutch has been going easy on me, pulling his punches in the discussion.
A thought strikes him.
Somewhat reluctantly he muses aloud: "Um, I don't really want to say this."
I tell him: "It's okay. You can say anything. Don't spare me."
He says: "Jesus is just a man. He may be the greatest man who ever lived. But in reality he's just a man. A great teacher. A great philosopher. If there's such a thing as prophets, he may even be a great prophet. But ultimately just a man. Nothing more."
I murmur: "If you think he may be the greatest man who ever lived, why don't you accept what he said about himself?"
There is a silence.
It lasts long moments.

2 Comments:

Blogger Adrienne said...

Good one!

2:17 AM  
Blogger heelers said...

Short and sweet Adrienne!
J

3:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home