The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Friday, January 18, 2008

the trembling of the leaf

My birthday.
Robin waiting on the bare branched lilac when I arrived in the kitchen this morning.
He let a few conversational whistles when he saw me.
The wide boy starlings arrived in a commotion of wing beats as I divvied up the madeira cake.
They actually hovered at the windowsill like kingfishers for a moment. I was very impressed with them and told them so.
A chubby wood pigeon ambled out from under a bush to inspect proceedings.
The wood pigeons don't normally show themselves in the garden.
Word is getting round.
What glory is crafted in everyday things.
You just have to lift the veil.
Anyhoo.
This afternoon my five year old nephew John and two year old nephew Tom found me writing at the computer.
John said: "James will you come out to the kitchen for a minute."
Tom said: "We've got a surprise party for you."
This was the funniest thing I'd ever heard. With great alarums, John tried to shush Tom. I pretended not to have understood.
They began again.
John: "Come on. We just want to talk to you out here."
Tom: "We got you a cake."
Ah, it was brilliant.
I stretched the whole thing out as long as possible. Feigning incomprehension. Refusing to leave the computer. John kept attempting to persuade me with the most subtle inducements that there was something I needed to see in the kitchen. Tom kept blowing the secret every time he opened his mouth.
John: "I think I saw a parrot in the back garden. Do you want to look?"
Tom: "We got you presents."
How well they know me.
The party was fun too.
Late tonight there was a phone call from Bunton.
Damn spice girls.
When will they realise no means no.
Also an email from Deevs.
Blooming Hindu babes.
When will they realise no means yes.
Ah life you bauble, come to me.
Anyhoo.
Thank you God.
Thank you for the whole kaboodle.

4 Comments:

Blogger Schneewittchen said...

Happy Birthday James!

4:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday J, and a hundred more. You share the auspicious date with my first born...is it a sign???? Medbh

12:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Medbh
It's a sign of something good!
J

2:12 AM  
Blogger Genevieve Netz said...

Happy birthday, James, and best wishes for the next year!

7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home