The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Sunday, November 25, 2007

what can we ask

It happened very quick.
Sitting in the window seat in the Costa cafe quaffing a cup of coffee.
Main Street of the town of Naas basking in the bleak midwinter outside.
Suddenly I heard a woman's voice raised in alarm.
"Joseph, Joseph, Joseph."
I looked around.
She was hurrying through the cafe.
I returned to my coffee, muttering aloud: "Ah, can they not keep an eye on their bloody kids."
The woman's voice grew louder.
"Joseph, Joseph, Joseph."
I looked again.
She was running up the stairs to the second floor.
Her manner had become more frantic.
I heard her shouting from the upper floors.
"Joseph, Joseph, Joseph."
She appeared again running.
She ran outside calling his name.
Now I could see people on the street.
Faces flushed, walking up and down, searching.
The woman too.
Now appearing.
Now disappearing.
A police car pulled up.
The cops thick set, determined, red faced as well.
Then the street went quiet.
I retreated into my own little world.
In my minds eye I could see the little boy.
Maybe in a car.
Getting further and further away.
I turned to God.
How much can we ask for? How should we ask? What if the answer is no?
I said: "Please."
When I left the cafe I went to Derek Bolan's shop which is on main street.
"Did they find the child Derek?" I asked the proprietor.
He came round the counter.
"They did," he said. "He was just up around the corner. He'd wandered off."
I left the shop.
Rejoicing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Genevieve Netz said...

Ehen I was a little child and we were at the Nebraska State Fair, I was following the legs of my parents as we wandered through the exhibits. I still remember the sick feeling of realizing that I'd lost my parents and had been following the legs of strangers. Meanwhile, my parents were frantic, much like the lady in your post. All ended well -- they found me in just a few moments.

2:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home