The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Friday, August 24, 2007

quoth the parrot nevermore

Driving along the open road through the heartland of South Kildare.
Summer becoming Autumn.
My company the lady known as Lil.
"I'm thinking of buying a parrot," sez I.
"Please don't."
"Why not?"
"For a start, your father will stroke."
The noble Heelers ponders this.
"I don't think he will," sez I. "Consider this Lil. If I buy a parrot it will probably push him so far beyond a stroke that he might just do nothing. He'll come home. See the parrot in the hall. For a moment he'll be more angry than it's humanly possible to be. Then he'll break on through to other side. He'll enter a state of pure nirvana. Probably spend the rest of his life blissfully calm, never getting angry about anything again."
Lil grinned.
"I don't think he would," sez she.
But it was too late.
I'd already started singing.
I sang lustily as a man sings who is about to buy a parrot.
I sang:
"You know the day divides the night.
The night divides the day.
You try to run.
You try to hide.
Break on through to the other side.
Break on through to the other side.
Break on through... to the other side."
And from somewhere not to far away, the ghost of Jim Morrison said: "Ah Heelers please stop."

1 Comments:

Blogger Schneewittchen said...

I'm with the Lilster on this. Partly because I can't bear to see birds in cages and partly because parrots particularly carry horrid diseases.

3:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home