The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

swings and roundabouts

Shadows lengthening through the venerable vault of Kilcullen church.
The mighty Heelers is communing with the eternal.
Third on the left. Fourth pew from the front.
There he is.
How holy he looks!
A collection plate is being passed through the congregation.
Heelers has his head buried in his hands.
Sometimes if I'm deep in prayer the collection box will just sail by.
Now it's very close.
Right beside me.
I hear a vague commingled discordancy as of much coinage being dropped within the plate.
Then it is gone.
I smile into my hands.
Presently there's a whisper in my ear.
It is my sainted mother.
"Did you hear that sound?" sez she. "That was me. Ever since the priest said he didn't want coins in the collection, I make it my business to put in a big pile ever week."
Saint Heelers of Hindustan raises his head.
"Where do you get them from?" he enquires mildly.
"From your room," replies the aged parent.
Heelers nods grimly and returns to his prayers.
He is thinking to himself that a blissful paradise must surely await him in the next life to make up for the vale of tears he presently inhabits...

7 Comments:

Blogger Schneewittchen said...

You can't ever move out James, not while you're writing the blog, in fact you should all have your own sitcom. The Lildebeest is a caution. Does she know she has a fan club?

7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mitico puddy. Ciao Grande puffo.
:-*

2:31 PM  
Blogger heelers said...

Schnee. She knows. God she knows. This morning I found her laughing in front of the computer. In response to my enquiries as to what was so funny she said, and I quote: "The one who said which of you is Paddy Pup?"
Bianca, more than words can say.
J

3:04 PM  
Blogger Schneewittchen said...

:))

8:57 PM  
Blogger Genevieve Netz said...

What church was in that photo you posted recently, James? Is that the Kilcullen church, by chance?

6:42 AM  
Blogger heelers said...

Gen, that's Kilcullen church alright. The photo was taken after the funeral of Mick Lambe a family friend.
James

3:35 AM  
Blogger Genevieve Netz said...

It's a very pretty church. I can see how you might fall into deep meditation there. :)

6:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home