The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Saturday, October 21, 2006

where angels fear to tread

"Go in and call your father. He's still in bed."
The words of the Mammy rang through the Chateau de Healy.
It was Friday afternoon.
The noble Heelers had just arrived home from some farflung place, (Newbridge probably) piratical and swaggering, his handsome features flushed with the light of destiny.
(My features get like that after a few cups of coffee.)
I was in such cheery humour that like an idiot I did what the Lildebeest was asking.
I went into the Dad's bedroom, a place known to scholarly anthropologists as the Valley of the Gwangai. There was scarcely a sound in the primordial gloom. What to do next... I chanced a few hollers.
"Time to get up." "It's getting late." "Are you awake Dad?" and other such sundry idiocies.
The Dad opened his eyes and gave me to understand in no uncertain terms that the hollers were not appreciated.
He was quite eloquent on the subject.
But it was the comment about my nose that really hurt.
Back in the kitchen a wiser weaker Heelers plonked down opposite the Mammy.
"I can't believe you asked me to do that," I told her. "And after all these years I can't believe I did it."
"What do you mean?" quoth the Lilt.
"Asking me to go into that room where angels fear to tread," I mumbled.
"You're no angel," shot back the Mammy triumphantly.
And she spent the next five minutes chuckling at her own joke.

7 Comments:

Blogger Schneewittchen said...

Did the Lildebeest not try cooking bacon? That will usually get most people out of their beds.

3:10 AM  
Blogger Genevieve Netz said...

I can certainly see where your gift for humor came from.

5:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well Healers speaking of angels!!!
Well for all you guys reading this Healers is one of my oldest and dearest friends, I am the founder of a charity called angel eyes which raises money to raise awareness for special needs children ansd to open a school for them. Next week we are hosting a charity ball which when i met with my dear friend healers yesterday asked him to attend , giving him a ticket free of charge naturally , and what was his reply!!!!! No!!!!!
Why you may ask dear friends??? The reason because his boss was attending. No dear people do you think that this is a cop out!! Do you think he's letting his boss win??

2:28 PM  
Blogger Schneewittchen said...

No, I think he's being pretty damn gracious and avoiding a potentially awkward situation.

7:10 PM  
Blogger Chamki said...

So this is what the angels were talking about this morning!
The message for you about children!
Is it?
And what happened to the lights James.
Do you not see them these days?

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Noble Heelers,

I spent part of the last two weeks with your femenist cousin Poleen. She's a tough oul bird as my late Uncle Ken fondly used to say. I got to experience that temper of hers when I accidentaly bumped into her while jogging down a backroad near my ranch. My ears still ring when I think of her barking the words, "Don't ever do that again!" So much for jogging with a partner. I think I'll go back to training by myself.

All the best, Anonymous

3:08 AM  
Blogger heelers said...

Hey there Anonymous.
Be careful of those feminist cousins. To much exposure and they might convert you to the cause.
James

3:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home