The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

seven days of the cleaning lady

"What would you think if we got a cleaning lady?"
The words were those of the lady known as Lil.
Around us the Whitewater Centre Cafe cacaphoned pleasantly with school kids, matrons, suits and pseuds.
I digested the aged parent's question and replied forthwith.
"I wouldn't like it."
"Why not?"
"Only snobs have cleaning ladies."
The Mammy eyed me coldly.
"Are you going to do the cleaning?" she enquired with a rhetorical flourish.
Words failed me.
"Right so," sez she. "We're getting a cleaning lady."
The noble Heelers goggled helplessly.
"Liller," sez me, "I just don't understand why you even asked my opinion."
There was a moment's delicious silence.
"Ah you'd be entitled to be asked," shot back the Mammy. "And anyway I couldn't have you meeting her be chance in the hall or the bedroom. The shock might have killed you."

1 Comments:

Blogger Schneewittchen said...

Ah Heelers, when will you learn? Everyone's entitled to the Lildebeest's opinion.

6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home