The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Sunday, September 03, 2006

answers



An Irish army officer phoned me this morning.
"I know what your lights in the sky are," he said.
He had reviewed our DVD version of the phenomena.
"Those are military parachute flares," he told me. "They're of a type I've seen the Israelis use. I have seen this effect in Lebanon. I am a hundred percent sure. We have them on our mountain range. There was a night firing exercise the night you made your film. Okay. You say you saw eight. That sounds like a lot. That means the timing of the firing was off. Normally we'd fire clusters of up to six. And they would all have faded before any more were fired. You say the event went on for twenty minutes. That does sound long. Normally we'd be firing for five or ten minutes at the most. And you say it happened at 2.20am which would be quite late. But maybe they wanted to use up the ammunition in stock that night. On the film you can be heard wondering could it be a sign from God. Actually it was a sign from the Fourth Artillery Regiment."
I asked him had he talked to Brigadier Berrigan.
He said he had and that he was aware the Brigadier had not accepted these explanations.
Before ringing off, the caller repeated his own level of certainty.
"I am one hundred percent sure," he said. "I wouldn't bet the mortgage on it. But I am certain. They are flares. Or they are something else. But they are not UFO's."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I certainly don't want this explanation to be the wrap, but then
a) He said he was 100% certain and he wasn't...
b) Brigadier Berrigan isn't...
c) Could he account for miltary activity on the other nights that you and others had seen the lights?
d) Miltary activity might draw other less explicable activity...
e) OK, no e, just grasping....
Schneewittchen (Sorry, since I swtiched to beta I am having a blogger identity crisis)

7:20 PM  
Blogger heelers said...

Hi ya!
I'm grasping myself.
(a) You're right on the certainty thing.
(b)It is worth noting that the Brig is not convinced by the explanation. But he's being a very neutral Brig. He's not endorsing ANY explanation.
(c) Our military source did not attempt to account for sightings on the other nights as he didn't have details of those. The only other night I myself consider is a confirmed sighting is 25th July.
(d) Point taken!
(e) I'm grasping myself Jan. But I'm happy enough to subject the situation to the best possible scrutiny. My little heart did indeed fall a bit when yer man said "one hundred percent certainty." And it did indeed rise just a tad when he said: "I wouldn't bet the mortgage on it."
CHEERS!
James

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home