The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Saturday, August 26, 2006

right here right now

We've had more reports this week of lights in the sky.
Ron Beufort who lives a few miles outside Kilcullen rang me on the mobile phone on Thursday evening.
He said: "James I know what those lights are."
At the time he phoned, I was in the middle of a script conference with Giovanna, the producer of Vampires Of Dublin.
We were in the Dublin offices of our film company.
That is to say we were seated at the window table just inside the door of Starbucks Cafe on Dame Street.
Anyhoo...
I said: "What's going on Ron?"
He said: "I am driving over the Curragh and I can see a light exactly like I saw before. Just one. It's over the military base. James, they're flares."
On hearing this statement I felt a momentary disappointment. I suppose for all my journalistic poses, I'd been hoping for a more mystery laden explanation.
I said: What part of the sky is it in?"
He said: "It's in the west."
So a different patch of sky to the previous sightings.
I said: "Is it moving Ron?"
He said: "It is but only a little."
I asked him to get in touch if he saw anything more, and he rang off.
The next day there were a series of calls from members of the public to the radio station which operates in this region. Several callers thought they had seen UFO's.
Now here's the thing gentle readers.
Because some of what is being reported is explicable, does not mean all of what we've seen is the same thing.
My cards on the table.
I don't believe in aliens.
I do wish the lights were from God.
But these are not journalistic viewpoints.
They're personal ones.
My journalistic analysis is this...
The original sightings of lights in the sky to the east of Kilcullen at 2.20am on June 23rd and 11pm on July 25th have yet to be explained.

5 Comments:

Blogger Schneewittchen said...

Yep, that is totally different from afternoon and actually over the military base.
You are very open and honest James and I think that is important in everyone being able to get a clear picture of it all.
I know you want it to be a sign from God, but other paranormal explanations may be drawn towards an area with an active military base in any case.

4:56 AM  
Blogger Schneewittchen said...

Also, if there were one clear explanation, why were you given all that other claptrap about the 'watered-down Northern Lights'?

6:22 AM  
Blogger Chamki said...

i wish these lights are from a possibility we haven't imagined. But something more magical than flares and things.

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it was flares, might there be a record of flares being used on the night that you saw the unexplained lights? (Please forgive me if this is a silly question. I'm not sure of the direction of the military base from your house.)

4:28 PM  
Blogger heelers said...

Schnee, the interesting thing now is the proliferation of reports.
Even the Dad and myself have seen at least three other sky borne things that were odd but we don't consider genuine sightings.
The public in this region is very UFO aware at the moment. Some of us are jumping at shadows.
Chamki, me too!
Genevieve excellent question.
Also excellent because it shows some of the limits of my investigation.
The military base is due west of my house.
Our June and July sightings were seen in the opposite direction due east over the mountains.
BUT, the army does train on the mountains.
I am looking for info from the army as to whether they were training on the mountains on the nights in question.
My source is a cousin who does a bit of Coloneling in his free time!
James

1:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home