The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

coming home

I step in the front door.
It is late at the Chateau de Healy.
I hesitate.
The hall is in shadows.
From the dining room, faint and fantastical, I can hear the Dad in converse with Sky Sports.
All else is quiet.
I savour the stillness.
A strange enchantment is at work. Years drift by on the midnight air. The past, the present, the future come together.
Ordinary things become heavenly things.
I have stepped out of time.
The spell mesmerises me.
The spell is broken by a sudden cry of "b-st-rd" from the Mammy's room followed by numerous other dilatory imprecations from the same quarters and a final flourish of "that f---ing dog."
Paddy Pup gallops from the bedroom.
"You're on your own dog," I inform him as he races past me through the hall, and on up the stairs.
As he passes I see he has a handkerchief in his mouth.
Though momentarily in fear of his life, I swear the brute is smiling.
He loves handkerchiefs.
I close the front door behind me, and switch on the light.
"I live in a zoo," I muse gently.
And I am smiling.

3 Comments:

Blogger Schneewittchen said...

Paddy pup needs to think on...there was a time when you could get hung for stealing hankies! Though that was more...England.... and I don't know if'n it applied to Paddy Pups....but he should watch out!

5:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wof!Bia

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Heelers,

I met a Ms. O'Mara the other day. Turns out she's a relative of yours by marriage. She was trying to catch her breath after traveling up and down the east coast. I also had the privilege of meeting her life-partner Edward. He's a gas man. What this world needs is more people like them. I'm contemplating moving to Ireland so I can surround myself with the likes of them. As my late Uncle Ken used to say, "They are what being a good christian is all about." Yours truly observed them putting money in the collection basket not once but twice last Sunday. I think it is safe to say that my mind wasn't the only one that was blown by that generous deed. Now, if only the catholic church could land more parishiners like them...

4:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home