The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Thursday, July 13, 2006

East Meets Heelers

Coffee with Lu Yi at the Laura Ashley Cafe on Grafton Street.
A loyal daughter of China meets a feckless son of Ireland.
Not so much a clash of cultures, more a theatre of the absurd.
Anyhoo.
At one stage in the proceedings I decided to delight her with one of my aphorisms.
My aphorisms? Smart remarks some people call them.
But conversation hadn't exactly been flowing freely. It was make or break time. When in doubt I always wheel out the big guns.
Surely after hearing one of my patented poetic and beautiful insights into the nature of existence, surely then I tells ee, surely she would be like putty in my hands.
I indicated an elderly couple sitting in the corner.
"The withered tree," I proclaimed softly, "has a beauty of its own."
Lu Yi looked at me intently.
"What do you mean?" she said.
I leaned forward.
"The old face is sometimes more beautiful than the young face," I explained.
Lu Yi nodded as enlightenment dawned.
"You mean like Elizabeth Taylor," she said.
Ah yes bold readers.
Heelers dazzles another love struck waif...

3 Comments:

Blogger Genevieve Netz said...

The feckless son of Ireland strikes again. ;}

3:09 AM  
Blogger Schneewittchen said...

As in 'What the feck wuz you doin in Laura Ashley's cafe?' ?
Actually, I have often wondered about that designer you get in Debenhams, John Rocha, according to them his designs are a juxtaposition of Celtic and Chinese. Mostly they're garments with his name written across them. But did you happen to see him while you were clashing cultures by any chance?
They do say an absurd in the hand is worth two in the bush. Don't know if it applies to Grafton Street.
Maybe I should take me tablets ;)

5:40 AM  
Blogger heelers said...

Schnee I recently wandered in to a Debenhams in the quaint Irish hamlet of Newbridge, and did indeed see some of John Rocha's things there. Fascinating I know.
J

3:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home